Saturday, April 12, 2008

from Oscar Apostol

I am a diehard patriot. One cannot pick and choose to pay homage to a national flag. The flag represents the heart and soul of the people buoyed by heroes blood , sweat and tears. As an American citizen and a veteran I highly respect the Philippine flag even though I am an expatriate. A cat may have nine lives but does not change color..
There is no incongruity between nationalism and religion. Adventist or not these are Filipinos. What you described are mere ceremonies and frankly can be hollow at best. How can these people sold their Filipino ness down the river for a pittance religion that saw light only after the Reformation? Their acceptance of such a stupid demand is enraging to me.
Without candle lights and dimming of auditorium lights it leaves you nothing but people in satin clothes. At the end of the ceremony they return to their old self. So who is kidding whom?
I have expressed my views and feelings. So there.
Oscar Apostol
Roseville, Ca. USA

(NOTE: JUST FOUND OUT THAT THE JEHOVAH WITNESS, NOT THE ADVENTISTS, THINK THAT THE FLAG IS A GRAVEN IMAGE.--GCARANETA) .

No comments: